Friday, August 8, 2008

Working Four Days A Week!

I was going through my inbox at gmail last week and came across an email about Utah state jobs. It occurs that they are moving to a 4 day work week for many state workers to save money on energy costs. By shutting down the buildings and productions on Friday, they can reduce the costs by 1/5th but still be just as effective.

Well, it really isn’t a joke. I’ve read a great deal about studies being done supporting this idea. It obviously wouldn’t work for all jobs, some industries and some positions require working, and working in person at least 5 days a week. But for those industries and positions in which it could work, the savings in gas and in electric and heat or aircond if the entire place could close down would be tremendous in RM for the company and not to forget, our ecology.

On the other hand, working a four-day week is much harder if you run a service-based company. For instance, design companies will have to really work hard to keep a four-day week, simply because clients will expect you to be in the office five days a week.

The Benefits?
Cut Back On Gas By 1/5th
I would save money on gas and have less drive time every week. Considering my mileage is like 80-90km a day from Bangi to PJ, I'll be saving damn, precious fuel! This would make my job so much easier to do.

3 Day Weekends
From then on, every weekend would be a 3 day weekend. That would be awesome! I could take that many more road trips with Honey, Danish & Iman without having to use up our vacation time. If I wanted to take a longer vacation, I could request Monday off and have 4 days to travel. Haha, not bad!

Same Hours, Same Pay
Since I would move from working 8 hours a day (okay it is really like 5 or even 2 for crying out loud - considering my current job!), to a 10 hour a day, I would still get my 40 hours in every week. So my benefits and pay would not change one bit.

Ahhh, perfect! Wait till the bosses hear this!

p/s : Today is my brother-in-law Kamal's birthday. Happy birthday Bro! 08-08-08 Nice eh?

No comments: